Thursday 2 June 2011

June 2: Plants need food too? Who knew? I thought plants were food. I guess they’re not cannibals.

The first week results are in. 


                                   MiracleGro      gain                    Better World        gain 
• Raspberry                  16 in            +.5                        13.5 in                      +.5
• Basil                             10.5            +.5                          10.5                          +.5
• Tomato                         7.0           +1.0                            7.0                         +1.0
• Marigold                       3 blooms                             6 blooms

So far, everything seems equal, except the marigolds, which prefer Better World.  There is new growth on all the marigolds, so stay tuned. 
All plants seem to have hints of new growth. 

See May 27th posting for more feeding details. 

Both Better World and Miracle-Gro suggest weekly feedings.  Miracle-Gro says you can go 14 days between feedings. 
           According to Eric Rosenkrantz of Matchboxgarden.ca , he uses a lot less than the recommended amount of Better World, because he has a huge greenhouse. Quote:“I basically gave the soil a dusting of the product. Still got great results!”
          So I might try using Better World in lesser amounts than directed.  I think I’ve been adding more Better World than I actually need.   According to instructions “Better World Plant Food is highly concentrated; a little goes a long way.... over-application will not harm your plants.” So it doesn’t scare me the way Miracle-Gro does , which states “ can burn plants. ” 

Anyway, now that they’re all fed, I can go back to being Lazy! 
Till next week, anyway.






No comments:

Post a Comment