Thursday 2 June 2011

June 1: The plot thickens.

I’ve had several requests for a control plot, to properly compare plant feeding to not feeding at all. It’s been a week since started the Miracle-Gro versus Better World Plant Food in matching bins; so it seems only fair to the “dirt and water” contingent to start new beds from scratch.

Here they are:


Each bed contains, from left to right: 
strawberry, eggplant, jalapeno pepper (what was I thinking?!), 
and romaine lettuce. 
The two pots in the foreground contain radishes and green beans, which I’ll grow from seed. I’ve been told it’s too late to start growing from seed. We shall see. 
Or is that “We shall seed” ? 





Ibid with Miracle-Gro.



Ibid with Better World Plant Food. I managed to wedge a rosemary herb beside the lettuce. 


NOT part of this comparative study, but just to see if I can get it to bear fruit, I've set aside another plot bed: 


A fig tree. And some other assorted herbs and veggies. Consider this a stress test. How much can you reasonably jam into a container and still get results? 
Oh, and I’ve chosen to gamble the harvest from this lot on Better World.  
Why? Because I prefer the idea that organic supplements can actually grow food just as well petro-chemicals.  
(I also think the moon is made of cheese, but American dairy farmers won’t let  NASA harvest it.)




Here's what the farm looks like:








1 comment:

  1. Cool ! I'm very curious to see how it all turns out !

    ReplyDelete