Tuesday 14 June 2011

June 14th: Boom! Now THAT’S a strawberry!



As promised, today’s report is a taste-test of my first, albeit minor, harvest. 
At a glance, the romaine lettuce looks pretty much the same throughout the test group.


The difference is in the strawberries. The MiracleGro gave me this single, deformed little fruit the size of a blueberry.  

 Better World Plant Food gave me a full-sized, properly formed berry roughly twice the size of the deformed MiracleGro berry.

 The taste test was limited to comparing two berries and some lettuce. Not too exciting, but it’s only been a few weeks. I used Naya water as a palate cleanser, since the local Toronto tapwater has noticeably increased its chlorine content in the last 2 weeks (this happens every summer, when the bacteria levels increase with the heat. But that’s another story). 

I assumed that the lettuce raised only on water is “normal” ie: what it should taste like, and so used that as my benchmark. And...
Face it— plain lettuce is pretty boring and neutral in taste. Like the plain leaf it is.
The MiracleGro lettuce had a slight bitterness to it, something like a dandylion leaf. Not exactly unpleasant, but not at all appealing either, if you follow me. 
The lettuce grown on Better World tasted identical to the neutral, water-fed lettuce. So I guess that’s good.

Now, the berries... 
these had flavour! Both of them. Kind of party-in-your-mouth, I-remember-this-taste-as-a-kid flavour. There was just a whole lot more berry with the Better World. 
So at this stage, I don’t think I have enough food samples to give a fair judgement on the taste superiority of one over the other. 

So I made a salad. (The tomato is from IGA.) Added a little salt, and Austrian pumpkin seed oil (mmmmm-mmmm good!).

When I get my own crop of tomatoes in, I plan to invite some celebrity chefs over for a blind taste-test. I’m guessing this will be in another month or so. How long does it take for a tomato to grow, anyway? 

In the meantime...
who wants to join me for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment