Monday 4 July 2011

July 3rd: 30ºC (86ºF) today.

Here’s something I wasn’t expecting... the plants in my side by side tests are reacting differently to the heatwave we have today. 
All the boxes were watered equally by me in the morning, and then got a thorough watering in the rainfall we had last night. 

The ‘water only’ plants are fine.

But the Miracle Gro plants have clearly been affected by the heat. 

The plants on Better World look as well as those in the ‘water only’ box. 

Makes me wonder if MiracleGro contains salts, or some other chemical, that leaves the plants more susceptible to heat. I’ve read somewhere that all chemical-based fertilizers contain salts in order to make them soluble in water. Will try to find that article again and link to it tomorrow. 

Meanwhile, back in Test Bed 2...


Despite yesterday’s attack by Klingons (or some other critter), the Better World bin is sprouting, while the Miracle Gro bin has nothing. 


Let’s visit the tomatoes from Test Bed One:
In the MiracleGro bin, I have the following tomatoes. Six of them in various sizes.
 These came in later than in the Better World bin.

Miracle Gro.
Miracle Gro.
Miracle Gro.
Miracle Gro.

 In the Better World bin, I have six large tomatoes coming along. 
Better World.
 This is my largest tomato, and the first one to come in. On Better World.
Better World.
Better World.
Better World.
Better World.

 In the War of the Roses, after seven days, MiracleGro is doing far better than Better World. (Compare the new shoots below.) I’m told this is because of the additional nitrogen content of MiracleGro, which produces dramatic leafing. I noticed similar results back in early June with the tomatoes. 
 MiracleGro.

Better World.

1 comment:

  1. It's 6 am and I'm reading this blog. Clearly you had me at "Grow-Off". Barbara bought some Better World, nice packaging.

    ReplyDelete