Friday 27 May 2011

The purchase, May 25th

I am indeed, the Lazy Gardener. 

My approach to gardening has always been:  stick it in the ground, add water.  After that, the plant is on it's own. Surprisingly, this has worked well for a number of heartier plants that seem to survive on neglect.

This year, I thought I'd try something a little different. I actually hope to harvest some food from my plantings. This suggested that I might need to put a little more effort into the garden this year. So I've added a third step: feed the plants.

The dilemma: what do I feed them? I'm too lazy to research the nutritional needs of whatever I plan to sow. Thankfully, a recent client of mine gave me some plant food. It's called “Better World Plant Food.”  According to the package instructions (I designed the package BTW), it's “Complete Plant Nutrition” and simple to use.  Sprinkle it on the soil around the plant, and water it. Now that's my kind of garden care!

I thought it might be an interesting experiment to compare Better World Plant Food (an organic plant food) to one of those popular, heavily-advertised chemical-based plant foods. So I got my hands on some Miracle-Gro.

Oh yeah, I guess I need some plants too, huh? I visited my local garden centre (East End Garden Centre, Toronto) and purchased two each of the following: raspberry, basil, tomato, marigolds.  

Here’s a picture of the purchase.


Marigolds, tomatoes, basil, raspberry bushes, ready for the experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment